• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pelican canoe patch

I was hoping yall could help me out with this...I have a 17' flatback Pelican and about 3" of the center rib near the stern has torn and folded in. A friend of mine tried to remedy the same problem on his with fiberglass and it did not hold well. I was thinking of using an epoxy concoction to fill the void and a few screws to help anchor the patch. Does anyone have a good fix for this? Any help would be appreciated. If you have a good link email me at [email protected]

Thanks

For outdoor gear repair and tips try calling the guys at Thrifty Outfitters in Minneapolis. They do canoe repair. They are in with Midwest Mountaineering. If they cant help you they should be able to direct you to someone who can.

They make a polyethylene "weld kit" for canoes and kayaks,I just typed in"repairing polyethelene canoe" on google and there is a repair welder/kit for 59.00 or so..there's others but this one was cheaper and apparently people think it's the way to go...Idea being polyethylene repair is fusing the new filler rod(comes in colors, red ,green, yellow etc) right into the damaged base material with the "woodburning type welding tool"...they say to fuze in a piece of mesh wire type window screen(stainless or aluminum) in the break to make it stronger...I own an oldtowne myself made of their version of poly and it's nice to know I can at least repair it myself down the road grin.gif