• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

EFI Question

22x

I have a 2000 Arctic Cat ZL 500 EFI & periodically, it acts like it is going to kill, at slow speeds 10-15mph....I've noticed it after going over a jump & then slowing down & you go to get back into it & it's like you hit the kill switch......then I let up on the gas & get back in it & it takes off.......

I also noticed it when I slow down to take a sharp corner....same thing as I described above.......you get on the throttle, don't smash it, just ease into it & it act's like you hit the kill switch....

It happens about 3-4 in a 50-60 mile ride........

Any one have any ideas? It doesn't seem like fuel, but maybe?? Could it be something with the EFI or something electrical?

It's got good power out of the hole & when you get after it going 50-60, it's right there & very responsive.....

nitro - thanks for the response....

can you explain a little more.....where is the safety switch? Are you saying if you pull up on the throttle lever it would cut out?

Thanks!

22x

the lever is mounted with a pin, if you hold the pin forward and squeeze the throttle a little does it cut out? or try holding toward the back and try it. there is a safety switch in the throttle block. do you have the manual and tool kit? it should have in the tool kit a plug with a wire on it. at the base of the handle bars ther should be a plug that will match the plug from the tool kit, if you disconnect this plug and plug in the one from the tool kit it disables the safety switch.

Thanks Nitro! I have the tool kit....I'll have to look for that plug.....I didn't get a manual with it, but I'll google it & see if I can find it online.....I also have seen the plug at the base of the handle bars you are talking about....

I'll also give your suggestion a try....I notice the lever seems a bit loose on the pin that it's mounted on.....

I'll let you know the outcome.....

Thanks again!!

99.9% sure I have the answer for you on this one. I'd suggest avoiding the bypass unless only for an emergency trip back home.

In the thumb throttle control assembly, there are a couple of plastic washer/discs that can and WILL wear out prematurely. The failure of these discs will cause the throttle control to have too much play and make engine to stall and sputter because a sensor switch in the throttle assembly thinks that the throttle may be stuck. AC dealers sell a ton of these very inexpensive ($2 or less for the pair) replacement parts and it's a well known issue for AC sleds. Any AC dealer parts counter person should know immediately what you're talking about and what you need.

I had the problem on a '98 Panther 550 and on a '99 ZL600, both with less than 600 miles on them. The part was the same for both and is likely the same for your 2000.

Fix is easy. Remove the clip that holds the throttle pin (careful, that sucker will fly), slide the pin out, find the 2 clear discs and replace them with the new ones. Put the clip back on and you should be good to go for another few hundred miles. Note how the assembly came apart and reassemble in the same manner. Be careful to install the discs correctly, not upside down, and line them up right.

I'm keeping a few spares on hand during trips just to be safe. Good luck!