• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Broadheads

Code-Man

Yes, the rage is a redesigned rocky mountain broadhead. If you are stuffing rage broadheads into the foam in a quiver, you are asking to have the blades open up in the quiver. I personally made sure the quiver i bought had 2 supports for the arrows so i could take the foam out of the quiver. that way you are not stuffing your broadheads into the foam possibily dulling them.

I had a miserable experience the one and only time I tried a mechanical head on big game. I ended up losing a medium sized bear on an 18 yard slam dunk shot. My buddy was filming me and you could see the arrow kick out as I tried to take a quartering away shot with a big wasp Jak-Hammer. There was just no penetration. It's tough to speculate without a recovery, but my buddy and I both saw the shot and the film and it looked like the shot was right on the money. Basically losing that bear convinced me to stick with fixed blades. I'd had nothing but success up to that point with fixed blades, and I only switched because I had purchased and early single cam bow that didn't tune with fixed blades very well. I ended up selling that bow, going back to fixed blades, and I haven't had a problem since.

A few years back while on another bear hunt I had another bear zig when I thought it was going to zag and I ended up shooting it in the shoulder blade. I might have another lost bear story to relate if I was shooting shooting a large expandable that didn't penetrate well. Instead with my fixed blade ironhead punched through both shoulders and the bear didn't make it 20 yards.

There isn't a broadhead out there that won't drop almost every animal inside 40 yards if you put it on the numbers. The trick is to find a setup that covers your tracks when things go wrong.

This debate will go on forever i'm sure. Ive bowhunted for 30 years and have tried them all but for me personally i like the fixed blade heads.Although for turkey i like the big expandable to anchor the bird. But no matter what you shoot always know your effective range and don't force shots.Then blood trails will lead to dead animals.The magic triangle lung and heart. Study animal anatomy learn to shoot angles to hit the heart lung area and practice with your hunting head then it wont matter what you shoot if your deadly accurate.You owe it to the animal to be the best shot you can be. I can honestly say more deer have died in my sight then have not.The bow is capable of shooting perfect it's the hunter that is not perfect so practice everything you can think of you might encounter in hunting it will build confidance.Oh ya and go buy a range finder. It's a bowhunters best friend.You can range distances from your ambush spot a rock,tree,bush,game trails etc etc...long before the animal gets there.I hope this will help out some of the new bowhunters.Remember this! your first shot is the one that counts make it your best keep this in mind when practicing every arrow can be your first. And stop practicing before you get tired a few good practice shots is better then just shooting and shooting and getting tired because then your accuracy will go down and you will start thinking something is wrong with your bow.So always practice fresh and rested and stop before you get tired. Sorry i was so long winded. Hope this helps a newbie.

Deerslayer1