• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lights-12vdc vs 120ac and inverter

Kaz

Well the experiment was as follows;
50watt/12vdc large screw bass= 4.1 amps
50watt/120vac thru 12vdc inverter= 4.8 amps
12vdv/1156 bulb in dome fixture= .7amps
It is my opinion that a #1156 dome light bulb put out as much light as the 50watt bulb did. I reveiwed this light in a totally dark room using a photo light meter. Readings were almost the same, +/- error 5%. The difference in the amps of the direct 12vdc and the 120vac 50watt bulbs, was I believe the efficiency loss of the inverter. Conclusion, the 12volt dome lights are better to use as they give about the same light, but use 80% less amps, which relates to battery life. As for differences in other electronics, ie TV, Radios etc, I think it is a toss up for 12 vs 120 inverted. Heat from both large screw bases were much more than from the dome light style bulbs. Heat is a big drag in batteries. I would wire the fish houses with #14 wire and use standard switches for direct connects to land power, if wanted. But also have a separate circuit for the lights using 12vdc dome fixtures and #1156 bulbs to conserve battery life. In my fish house I use regular home wiring, but run everything, including TV, Marine Radio and lights via 12vdc. I have a 120vac outlet in which is used for a battery charger to feed the batteries when I'm using the house on land. I do have one hanging fixture that has a screw base, but I found an old Flash bulb adapter with a screw base to a bayonet dome bulb. Hope this help you all in makeing a choice of powering your fish houses....Kaz

Nice job Kaz! I too use the RV style lights with the 1156 auto bulbs. It seems the only other way to beat them is to go LED. It was interesting to see how the different styles break-down in amperage usage. Very informative, thanks again.- TROY

Hey Kaz: What would you say will use more power. A standard TV-DVD ran through an inverter or an AC/DC TV-DVD without the inverter set-up? I wasa leaning towards the inverter route for the simple reason that the TV-DVD setup ac is a lot less expensive to buy, and I could also run my ac fillet knife. Whats your opinion? BTW, hi Troy. If ya want to take a peak at the outside of my shack it is under the listing "4137 and counting" Tightlines...

Tightlines: In that case I would go the Inverter route for those only, but not for the lighting. You are doing the same voltage change inside the special 12vdc electronics but the heat factor is absent. Most transisters run low voltage, commonly 10/18 vdc, but if cost is a factor, you are not using that much power anyhow, so go with a inverter for those items. You ask about the electric filet knife, that 120vac draw isn't that much either. As I said in another post, I've got a 120vac input plug on my house to connect a small Honda 1kw generator to. This provides me with power to run my battery charger when needed and my Microwave. It's use very little, but it's handy when needed. Don't forget a Marine radio and antenna connection. It's great to hear what's going on elsewhere on the ice. At Lake of the Woods it's a big Partyline, and for safety too... I can't wait for the Ice.....See you all at the St Paul Ice Show...Kaz

Kaz,

Very interesting info. Do you happen to know of the efficiency rating on your inverter? Judging from your results you're getting about 87% efficiencly which sounds a bit below the "marketing" efficiency of some of the inverters I've seen (which are listed at 97%). If you're inverter is rated to be that high, I may look into alternative lighting methods as it may not be as efficient and I thought.

I've never heard of these 1156 lights. Can you supply a bit more information on them? Where do you get them and how much do they run? Sounds like they might be useful as fish hole lights too?

Tansey,

I purchased my 12v RV dome light fixtures at Walmart for about $5.00 ea and they have worked great. You can find then in the Automotive section there with their Trailer lights & stuff. I have 2 of them one on ea end of my 8x12 perm. shack and have had no problems with not having enough light, matter of fact I usually only run 1 light at night except when needing to tie the ocassional bite off.

I wired my house as Kaz had mentioned w 14ga wire to the light fixtures with aligator clips to the battery then use a 700W inverter which attaches to 14ga romax wire to outlets for my TV and other AC needs.

Later, Chris

------------------
"Fishing is an addiction, Anybody got some more?"

Tansey: I'm not sure about the advertised rating, but that's what I got for amp measurements. According to my test it was more like you said, 87%. It is a name brand my Son uses for the TV in his car when taking his 5 year olds on trips. I borrowed it from him, as I use my little Honda 1KW generator of 120vac. As for the 1156 bulbs, they may be a little strong for the hole lights. I use the License Plate lights. Much smaller and can be just pressed into about an 1 1/4 hole in the wall. They draw very little and the wires are neatly hidden. Hope this helps in your planning.... Kaz