• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Water Clarity question

CJH

I am going to be trying a new lake this weekend that only has pretty low water clarity. I haven't fished a lake with this low of clarity and was wondering how what are the best tactics for this? I will be targeting gills and crappies (which is why I am posting it here!!). Its a bowl shaped lake with a max depth of about 20 ft, some subtle points, elbows and breaks, not a ton of structure. I think there is a small creek that runs though it, but not sure.

Any thoughts tips?

Thanks!

CJH

As for colors.. I would take into consideration the brightness of the day. But I like bright yellows and oranges... I really like Firetiger/Perch pattern jigs. As for lures.. the smaller Rattle Varmit by JB lures is my go to.. its a larger profile, and has a glass rattle in it, to help with vibration and sound. A smaller Nills Jigging shad or jigging rapala is also a good choice for putting out a good ammt of vibration.

If you end up seeing quite a few fish on the flasher and not getting them to bite, you may need to downsize.. but keep that larger lure ready to help draw the fish in.

Good luck!, let us know how things worked out.

Thanks! I will have a few poles rigged up with different types of lures, so I can make the quick switch and figure out what is working.

I was planning on starting shallow and working deeper until I find them. Any thoughts on if you would expect them to be shallow or deep in this type of lake at this point in the season?

Look for weeds. If there are weeds then I would consider hitting those areas, as it will draw in a wide variety of life (baitfish and then the fish we're looking for \:\) ).

Next step would be to look for where the sticky bottom areas are. These areas are where the shallower bottom content (maybe sand or silt?) meets with the muckier deep water (turns into a "sticky" bottom). Those areas will also hold fish in lakes where structure is absent...

Thanks for all of quality feedback, gentlemen!

We ended up finding the fish in a deep hole right around a small point. Red, orange and green seemed to work the best. The fish we pretty negative, but we were able to coax a decent amount including one 11.5in crappie. They seemed to be roaming the deep hole, as we drilled a bunch of holes, fished a hole until they were gone, then moved to whatever hole showed the most fish.

Other than the wind, it was a fun day to be on the ice!

I know how that feels!!

About half way through the day we decided to change it up and try and fish shallower, and couldn't find any fish. We caught one dinky sunny between the three of us. So we moved back deeper and chase was back on!