• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Polaris 440 / will fire then not start.

southwest

I have a polaris 440 late 1990 model, my son ran it out of gas

and i cleaned the carb on it and now when i go to start it it will fire and then die. When i take out the spark plugs they are

real wet. When i let it sit for a while, i Heat up the plugs

and it will refire but then kill and plugs are wet again. Any

suggestion would be appreciated.

Sounds like you may have fuel in the crankcase. You could try shutting off the fuel and trying a few more times by drying out the plugs. Once they are fouled they rarely recover well though. If they are old plugs replace them. If it still won't go then try draining the case. If there is fuel in the crankcase it will not clear without draining it.

I'll try to clarify a bit more. The drain plugs on the front of the engine crank case are near the bottom of the case between the motor mounts on the front of the motor. These drain plugs go directly into the crankcase and are to drain excess fuel out of there in the even of extreme flooding. These do not have any contact or relation to the engine coolant, they are strictly to drain excess fuel out. The plugs should be a 10 millimeter and will be a brass pipe thread plug. If your engine is extremly flooded, raw fuel/oil should run out of the holes when you remove the plugs. If nothing comes out then you most likely have another issue.

Start with the basics. Make sure your fuel pump is working properly, easy way to check is pull one of the fuel lines off the carburator and pull the engine over. The fuel should pulse out of the line if the pump is working properly. Second, check for spark... pull a plug out set it on the head and pull the engine over.(make sure the kill switch is up and the key is on!) I like to set the park brake when doing this just as a safety measure in case she wants to take off on ya!

Another place people tend to overlook is the "impulse" line. This is the hose that goes from the back of the crankcase to the fuel pump. If this hose is cracked or disconnected the fuel pump will not work properly hense, poor or no fuel delivery. If you check all of these items and your still not having any luck getting her to go, check back in and we'll try to help you more!!

Sounds good so far. If the fuel pump is working and pumping fuel to the carb. odds are that the "impusle" line I spoke of before is also in proper shape. If your still having problems you may be in store for a good carb cleaning. Your main jets may be clogged or gummed up as well as the needle and seat, jet needle and pilot jets. Anyway I'll check back and see how your doing!