• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Fishing Depth Finders

icefishinwidow

I want to buy my husband a vexilar for christmas, my problem is i know nothing about ice fishing,where to buy it, how much they are, and which one to buy. can anyone help me? i can't ask him because then he'd know what i was doing. i am at your mercy

Icefishingwidow, don't worry. You have come to the right place.

Where to buy -
Most major sporting goods retailers will be able to help you like Gander Mountain, Cabelas, and Galyans. Also, several other mom and pop type shops will have them as well. Places like thorne brothers in fridley, capras in blaine, vados in blaine. If the prices are close, I usually like to support the mom and pop places.

What to look for - there are two tiers of flashers (vexilars).

Tier 1
Vexilar FL-8. Meat and potatoes unit with all the necessary features to catch fish. These units have helped anglers put fish on the ice for many,many years. Makes sure to get the 2003-2004 version. It has some upgrades this year over last.

Tier 2
Vexilar FL-18. Based off of the FL-8, the FL-18 has extras bells and whistles that are really nice to have on the ice. Zoom feature, bottom lock, more power and target separation. This is the unit I have and I like it alot. Vexilar is located in bloomington,mn.

Marcum LX-3. This unit is not a "vexilar" per se, but it is a flasher sonar just like the vexilar. These units came out a couple years ago and are really gaining in popularity. Similar features to the FL-18 but with more power and a little more flexibility in features. made in monticello,mn.

If money isn't the issue, I would really try and get him a tier 2 unit. However, this units get pricy and I am sure he would get lots of use out of a FL-8 too. Good Luck. You can also find more information on the vexilar Web site or the thorne bros Web site.

You do realize that once you get him the Vex, he'll be gone more, don't you? smile.gif Maybe that's your plan smile.gif Anyway, he's a lucky guy to have a wife that will indulge his fishing habit. I've got one of those too smile.gif If you want to make hime reeeeaaal happy, do as Seabass says and go for the FL-18. However, if your budget is limited the FL-8 is a great unit too.

[This message has been edited by SpikeRoberts (edited 10-17-2003).]

Well said Seabass,
I would go for either the FL-18 or the LX-3. Both are coparable units and are at the top of the game. Priced relatively the same. The FL-8 works fine too but doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the FL-18 and LX-3 has. Any way you choose you are getting a great product that will not only help your husband catch fish, but a learning tool as well. Instantaneous flashers are a great learning tool and I'm sure your husband is gonna love this christmas gift smile.gif

Good Fishin,
Matt

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by MJ5 (edited 10-17-2003).]

I'd make sure you seriously consider the LX3 it has more power and better target separation. I think the unit is about $400. The other big thing is the LX3 has super interference rejection and it's made right here in the good old USA. MarCum also has a HSOforum dedicated to customer service. Like the others said if you get him a sonar he's gonna be fishing a bunch! But he'll be one happy boy!