• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

High neighbors, I'm from your neighboring state looking to catch some slimmers ( gators) out of the waters in Lake Sakakawea. I am not asking for any exact locations but mabe just some starting points, or tips. It would be me and my two sons ages 13 and 12. We are looking to fish with tip-ups sometime in March around the first weekend or second week, school break for the kids. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Well first off welcome to the site. I am not really going to be much help for you as I really have no idea where to tell you to head to. I know of people fishing for pike in lake Sakakawea but as a walleye person I have never check to see where to head to. Sorry I can't be of any help.

Good Idea. I too live in Mn but head there every year in march. Dont wait too long the water seems to get really dirty around the middle of march. I have also fished from shore if the Ice is out for some reason. Make sure you call ahead to where your staying to check on the ice conditions. Believe me they go FAST! so far I have caught a 25lber and my dad a 28! there are big fish in that lake no doubt. Im looking to go there aroundthe 1st or second week of march as well.

Thank you to iffwalleyes and fearNoFish for the quick response.I will try some hotels out there and try to set somthing up for the first weekend in March. FearNoFish are you located in central Mn, I looked at soom of your post and looks like we are fishing alot of the same lakes.

With the low water levels the large bays of the lake have been reduced in size, but there are still areas that can hold some very nice pike. We did well in Beaver Bay, which is north of the town of Beulah some years ago now. Further east there is Mallard Island right by Highway 83, but the water is down so far that I'm not sure it's an island anymore. There could be some spots around there that have some opportunity for pike. Wolf Creek is the campground near there and may provide an access point. Like I said, the water is so far down I'm not sure what bays are good anymore but check the local baitshops in Washburn or Garrison and they may be able to give you some general idea of where to go. Google map "Riverdale, ND" and you can see the bays and general areas of the lake.

Good Luck!

Originally Posted By: _FearNoFish4:20_
missed a big one send me an email @ [email protected] and I can point you in the right direction. Would rather do it there than on here!

So what is the point of being on here? What a shame, two thousand viewers just had their trunks packed, headed towards Sakakawea, just because it is practically across the street. Now, what are they to do? sleep.gif

Sorry, I was being sarcastic. Although I totally understand where you are coming from, to a point, this site suffers from irrelavant statements like that.

prov1900 I do not quite understand what you are saying. Are you saying that it is better to post no information on this site, than to give a e-mail address and have just a couple of people show up in your hot spot or close to it. or are you saying post it on here for several thousand people to read so when you show up their is no place for yourself to fish and the area is fished out due to fishing pressure.

Sorry, I was kind of cranky last night. Sakakawea isn't really close enough for the 1000's that read this to just pack up and get to. I agree with the "email me" thing. It just sounded bad when you referenced putting it "on here". No one expects you to put GPS coordinates in when you are referring to your honey hole. It just appeared to me that you were "slamming" this HSOforum. This has been a great info sharing forum for all of us. Great info doesn't have to necessarily be the when, where, and how to catch fish out of your spot.

Personally, I would love to go there. It is closer for me to go to Canada, however.

Again, didn't mean to be a crank, it just kind of caught me wrong.

Missed big one,

Been fishing Sak. every spring for gators for as long as I can remember. Last spring was very slow. Spent a few days on the ice in Wolf Creek and Centennial Bay and only managed 1 fish over 20lbs. Did better farther up the lake towards Van Hook and after the ice started going out (shorefishing). Thats quite a drive for you probably, if I were you I would even look into Devils Lake for some spring pike, I know they go crazy there. Seems like the pike fishing on Sak is starting into a downswing in my opinion. Still some good fish in there though.