• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

circle hooks ???

bucksnort64

Circle hooks are used for fishing live bait and are used to reduce hooking mortality. They often hook in the corner of the fishes mouth and actually do a good job of setting the hook by themselves. The pressure that is applied when the fish is running with the bait is usually enough to set the hook (as long as they aren't running towards you!). I have used circles for fishing cats and they do a great job, but for pannies I don't think the small mouth of the fish would work too well.

And they do come is variety of sizes, none probably small enough for a panfish.

Google "circle hooks" and you will see many articles about why they reduce hooking mortality.

I have some size 10 circle hooks. Circle hooks this size have one purpose IMHO. People who cant/dont set the hook. Old people and little kids really benefit from them. Whenever I take my 70 odd yr old FIL I put a circle hook on his line. It really makes up for his lack of reflexes and general fishing knowledge.