• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Why Are Labs best?

cw642

I agree with it being a personal choice. I have a Brit and absolutely think he is the best, that being said I know he needs a lot of attention and exercise and know that not everybody can do that. I had a Basset hound before this dog. Great dog, and great with kids also, but didn't need half the exercise of my britt. Nothing better than coming home from a bad day at work and being greeted by your best friend that is so excited that his whole body is shaking.

CW - a post currently on this front page asks "What breed to get?" To answer that question, lab guys are going to suggest a lab and give reasons for it, setter guys are going to do the same as well as the britt guys, GSP, GWP... ETC.

Everyone has their favorites and will tell someone why is it their own favorite.

It would be like asking a person "What type of girl should I date?" Could you imagine the responses?

"You need a girl with blonde hair, blue eyes who can cook."

"You need a brunette who cleans and is good with kids."

"You need a redhead who loves to dance."

You get my point... the possibilities are endless but in the end, they are all opinions of those who are comfortable with the breed they own or their favorite breed.

Be happy we are only talking about hunting dogs because the debate could be extended to pugs, cockapoo and every other breed if this were a different forum.

As I started reading this, I wanted to stay out, but the more I read I needed to jump in, so here goes. I have owned labs for over twelve years and loved them all. My first I bought when I was 15 years old and within a year, we were guiding pheasant and duck hunts at a local game farm. I got [PoorWordUsage] from a lot of people for having a big, dumb, stubborn lab, that couldn't smell anything, point or do anything other than retrieve. Well, that lab was my best friend throughout his life, don't tell the wife. I worked him hard because I loved working him and he enjoyed it as well. He was by far the best dog I have ever owned. He pointed, he retrieved, he could sit still in the blind and never stop moving in the field. He would work close to me in dense cover for grouse and keep a ten to twenty yard buffer for pheasants. He was an all around excellent dog, and he even liked to cuddle.(Wife hated that) But, the fact that he was a lab, is irrelevant. A hunting dog is what it is. It is what you do with that dog and how you treat your dog that really matters. No matter what time of day, how crappie the weather, how cold or hot, what time of the month, or how hunting was last time, a true hunting dog with get more excited by the sight of a shotgun case, or the simple question "Wanna Go Huntin'?" than any person ever will. They live to hunt and make us happy. There is no greater joy than watching your dog, the one you put all those training hours into, work a field or a thicket, go on point, or my personal favorite, give you that dumb look after you missed the easy shot as if to say "one-who-thinks-I-am-silly". Whether it's a lab, chessie, brittany, springer, shorthair, or a setter... They are all equals as hunting dogs. (sorry this got so long)