• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Newbie Bow

kwiggy

As far as buying used... that is one of the main reasons I started this post. I wanted to learn what were good brands and just start using the 'language' you experienced archers use. I can see a lot of ads on hsolist in Mpls and am naturally weary of them since I don't know the difference between a Pinto and a Mercedes. When I get my money saved up (or my taxes back), I will start asking about brands/ads I see in hsolist... if that is an okay thing to do on this forum.?.?

I also like the idea of buying a mid-class bow from a shop as would have them as a resource after my purchase. Are there shops other than the big stores like Gander and Cabellas? Is this something people do from their garages or small shops?

I like the idea of an archery league. That is a good idea and probably good for my son too. I bet we would meet some good people.

I appreciate all of the advice from this post. Everybody has been very helpful, which gives me confidence in trying to teach my son. I have always admired the bow hunter for the skills needed to make a successful hunt and I want my son to learn those skills, as well as learn them myself. \:\)

Thanks everybody. If my son bags a buck, I'll be sure to let you know.

kwiggy, keep asking questions. That's what this place is all about. Opinions will vary, but you'll still get some great insight. It's also nice to hear of a youngster getting into archery or any outdoor activity for that matter. I'm sure you'll agree its great bonding time spent with your boy. Leagues are great quality time and my son and I even have "friendly" compititions in the back yard. Believe me b4 you know it he's out shooting you. Good luck and have fun!

I would personally rather have a used bow in good condition compared to a cheaper new bow. There it is reason they are more expensive.

The big thing is to know what you want. Do your research and shoot a lot of different bows. There are lots of people that get a new bow every year or two, so they are same bows being sold in the stores, for 50% less. Be patient and you will find a good deal.

I would also recommend seeing the bow before you buy it, for a close inspection.

Good luck