• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

worms in crappies??

walleyeaddict

Have a aunt that works there and its true. Just that they so tiny u never see them. back to the crappie thing. if you are worried about it it is easy enough to cut them out of the fillet. hold up to a light source and you can see lil dark spots in the meat just cut around them and ur done no more worms.

What kind of worms or parasites are this? Is it Neascus? http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fish_diseases/neascus.html (This link is for info about Neascus disease on MN DNR HSOforum only)

Here is another good info site for types of fish diseases: http://www.tnfish.org/FishDiseasesParasites_TWRA/FishDiseaseParasites_TWRA.htm I found this site to be very helpful on types of diseases, parasites, worms. You may find the type of species of worm info here that were on the Crappies.

What color are the worms? And is the ribcage the only spot they are found at? Crappies usually don't get Neascus even in heavy infested lakes where all other panfish or gamefish have them. And if they do it's very few. It's probably due to their diet or where the fish spends it's activity.

I've caught crappies all my life and I have never cleaned a crappie that has worms of any kind? They may have been in some, but they were not evident. I was surprised when I heard that the crappies out of Pelican had worms.

To me, they seem to be the cleanest fish going, next to a trout and if I caught one with worms I'd figure there were some bad dynamics going on in the lake and I wouldn't keep any, nor would I fish the lake again.

I certainly wouldn't eat one, which is strange because the black specks on sunnies doesn't bother me, the grubs in the perch don't bother me...I just pop em out, unless there is to many, then they get the boot. But a funky crappie? Nope.

Originally Posted By: The Grebe
I've caught crappies all my life and I have never cleaned a crappie that has worms of any kind?

I too have never seen any worms in Crappie meat. Although I have seen the occasional black spots. But very minimal no more than a few spots either on the fin or on meat at worse. Even from heavy infected waters where most panfish such as sunfish have them all over skin & meat making it unbearable to clean or eat I find the Crappies usually free of parasites or them black spots.

Originally Posted By: Craigums
You know those black spots are not harmful to humans, just cook your fish well. It says it right on the DNR HSOforum...So I dont know why it would be unbearable to clean and eat

I am very aware of that. But it is not to my liking. I will not eat a fish that has alot of black spots all over no matter how good you clean or cook it. Im not saying it's bad, im simply choosing to not eat it. To me it's kinda like someone telling you it's ok to eat tapeworms. Would you eat tape worms? Although not exactly the same thing you get the idea. Even though them black spots parasites aren't harmful id liked to skip it if I can. grin.gif