• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Regulations

DTro

From what I have read, it is unlawful to ride anywhere other than the outside slope of a ditch on a county road.

What happens when you come to a spot where that is impossible. Can you ride the shoulder of the road?

From the MNDNR HSOforum. snowmobiles MAY be riden

Quote:

"on a bridge, other than a bridge that is part of the main-traveled lanes of an interstate highway, in order to avoid obstructions to travel when absolutely necessary (but, the snowmobile must be operated in the extreme right-hand lane, the entrance to the roadway must be made within 100 feet of the bridge, and crossing must be made as quickly as possible)"

Quote:

Residents born after December 31, 1976 must have a snowmobile safety certificate, or snowmobile safety certificate indicator, on their driver’s license or on their Minnesota ID card to operate a snowmobile in Minnesota. To become certified in snowmobile safety, students must pass a Minnesota snowmobile safety training course.

This another law most riders do not know of!!!!!!

had buddies get ticketed for it. their only route around the shoulder of the road was through the lawns of peoples homes in developed areas. cop didn't care whether or not they drove on the lawns, just not the shoulders, or upper half of a ditch.

Erevy road has a road right of way. Usually 33 feet from the center of the road. Really that is public land. You can only ride the bottom and the outer slope of a ditch. Not the inner slope or shoulder. At night you are supposed to follow traffic.

I am a snowmobile safety instructor and visc president of a club and we get this question all the time. The ditch is really not the supposed land owners. There is a piblic right of way in every ditch.

I understand that, and thanks for the explanation.

But I was referring to places where there is no ditch. There is state trail near my house, that a county road leads to. There is a section about a mile long that it is impossible to go anywhere but on the shoulder of the road due to a large ravine on either side.

If there is a hazzard that you can not avoid or would be hazardous to cross you can ride the shoulder but must return to the ditch as soon as posable. Even in the DNR's safety videos to show students that if they have to cross abridge how to do it correctly. I think it is about 100 feet before the bridge and after, or sa soon as it would be safet to get back into the ditch.