• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Coaxing crappies, your technique?

NoodleSalad

never used euros, i just stick with waxies. i used to only fish minnows, now my main jigging bait is a waxie. stays on better and when they are active you can keep catching without gettin your hands cold. i like a jig with a good hook on it, so i dont miss many. glows dont matter to me that much either, as long as i twitch it right.

So you took one step up. Why not take another? Whatever works, works. Yesterday on Maple in the honeyhole- Minnows shut down as well as waxies. Euro's worked. Your tackle box has more than two different crappie jigs in it dosen't it? Makes sense to me. If it's out there use it- Never caught much on mousies though (grubs with tails) -NS-

what do yah suppose it is when three crappie fisherman go fishing. One fisherman gets a bite. the other gets two and the third guy cleans up pretty well. Luck ? technic.? Verticle presintation or horizontal. Cheap Jig or chandalear jig with two maggots.. Big small. Experiment or just sit there and soak your lure until the hole frezzes over. Or go drill a few more holes and move? Mabey even just a few feet away.
Look in his little tackle box can give a clue but know what he knows about action with the right jig combo. Enticing the finicky ones. how far to stay above the fish... go into the fish.... typ of rod...line.... Eye ball the line where it meets the water.
I am talking when fishing is tough. Everyone says they aren't biting. Yep. Thats when fishing is either frustrating or fun...
Mabey you get a fish every 15 to 30 minutes.
And thats like playing solitare....... it all for the fun of it.
CT

[This message has been edited by crappie todd (edited 02-02-2003).]

Euro Larve is actually colored maggots.
Thats right, maggots.
They are not minnows.
They are smaller than waxies and have a tougher skin, therefore they tend to stay on the hook better than waxies.
Best of all, bluegill & crappie love 'em.

I personnally prefer the absolute smallest minnows you can find. So small you can barely hook 'em behind the dorsal without killing them. I haven't found many I like this year. Blue Ribbon in oakdale used to have the smallest in town. Not this year, though. Little minnows clean up the bigger gills as well. I've sat in a shack with guys who prefer the larger minnows and outfished them by as much as 10-1. I have to fish alone a lot, now. Oh well, had a fresh limit today! yummy. got a nice 'eye on one of little dinks, too.

I like the tiny minnows too! I haven't done very well on waxies but I know alot of people do.I'll have to try those colored spikes they sell them at the bait store.This guy came out on the ice last night before dark and said he use's waxies on this lake for crappie and did well,but he didn't do well on minnows but soon as he left I hit them on tiny minnows. smile.gif

Horizontal red glow fatboy tipped with two red euro larvae fish on a slow drop/quiver presentation. Or a plain hook with a small crappie minnow or single maggot also works.

Good Fishin, Matt.

well what works and when who knows ,, just be ready for anything ,, got them on those little timberwolf hair jigs plain when nothing else seemd to work ,, .. time to go home when you have used all the bait types you got with you with everthing you got in the box ,, sometimes it takes all day and night to get them some times home in 1/2 hour ,, who knows ,, thats why its call fishing and not catching