• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

98 xlt trouble

mthunter

Decided to go hit the soo-line this morning, loaded the sledds on the trailer - both started just fine. The little plastic choke lever broke on the xlt when I flipped it back down. Trailered up to the parking area off hwy 10 and the sucker wont start. Has a brand new battery and I have spark but she just wont start. Any ideas? the broken choke lever shouldn't cause this should it? Could the kill switch have crapped out? Can you disconnect the kill switch and if so where from? Any help would be greatly appreciated. confused.gif

Does the choke work at all?

If not, I'm guessing when you ran the sleds onto the trailer, broke the choke lever and then drove to your destination the engine got cold, and you need the choke to start it. I know the sleds I've owned won't start cold without the choke...

I've experienced a broken/lost choke lever myself. In a pinch, with a needle nose pliers and small vise grip pull the choke cable enough to start a cold engine.

If you have spark then likely not an ignition/kill switch issue.

Thanks for the input chuck. I do have spark and was using a needle nose to choke the motor. I did neglect to turn off the fuel for the drive up. Have heard this can lead to severe flooding. Am hoping this is the case. Will put in a new choke control kit tonight and see what happens.

Always carry a second triple set of spark plugs. When it doubt, change them out. This could mean the difference between a good trip and bad trip. I can not count how many times I have changed plugs on the trail. I even own/drive an EFI.

Hope that is all it is.

Did you get any riding in during this trip?

I threw in a new choke control kit lastnight and she fired right up.

Didn't get any riding in on that trip, luckily it was only an hour or so from the house and we had changed plans on going to the north shore.

Now hopefully the weather will cooperate and we can keep the snow we have and pick up some more.

Thanks for the help guys.