• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1.4x vs.2x converter on a 2.8 lens

Hey All,

I'm looking into a 70-200mm 2.8 lens and possibly a converter. I know that I'll lose one stop with a 1.4x but how much do I lose with a 2x converter? Am I right that the 1.4x will put me at f3.5? Where will the 2x put me?

I'm thinking that I may get rid of my 170-500 5.6-6.3 lens if this new combo will be a lot faster and still good quality.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Mike, a 1.4 will put you at f4 on an f2.8 lens, and a 2 TC will put you at f5.6.

Not sure which brand you're using, but with Canon, all cameras under the "1" series will focus a lens/TC combo to f5.6, so you won't lose autofocus if it's Canon you're shooting.

The 1.4 combo will definitely focus faster than the 170-500, and the 2 TC combo PROBABLY will, but you'll see noticeable image quality degradation with the 2 TC no matter which brand you're shooting.

Mike, I shoot Nikon and have the 1.4x and 2x and the 1.4 is awesome and the 2x slows down the focus enough for me not to use it unless its a pretty stationary subject far away... with that being said, buy the 1.7x... thats if you shoot Nikon... if your a Canon dude, not sure what to tell ya.

Thanks guys,

Sorry, forgot to mention I am a Nikon guy. I didn't realize they made a 1.7x. I'll have to check that out. Even with that I don't think I want to give up that much length. I may have to keep them both. That's fine too. It's a good lens but not very fast which frustrates me at times. Actually most of the time. That's why I'm going with the 2.8 lens. If only my Christmas bonus was big enough to buy a fast 500mm. Oh well.

Thanks again.

Mike