• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Fishing line? super braid?

TNFL

I know "line" has probably been discussed a million times, but I didn't see anything recently, so here goes.

Does anyone use braided line for panfish? I really hate when its all coily, and I don't really want to respool 2-3 times a year as I would be lucky to get out once a week, which equals about 12 trips. I liked some of the tips in the anti-spinning thread, but am wondering some pros and cons of braid/super lines. I would probably use a leader either to a swivel or back to back. Does ice build up on/in the line cause any problems?

Depends...

Ice build up on superlines are really bad when it's windy, but it can cut through the ice on the wind pretty easy.

I do find that regular fireline performs better on a sunny day when it comes to preventing ice buildup...

My most problem is ice on the tip guide...The alconite guides with it's dark color as opposed to stainless steel/chrome works better for me on sunny day outside.

Here is my report.

I got some 6 pound spiderwire and used a 4 pound mono leader with a uni-to-uni knot. The braided line worked good for eliminating spinning and coiling of lines. Ice build-up did occure at a higher rate, but pinching the line and running it between my fingernails removed ice quite easily. If you are fishing inside of a house it would work great, but still wasn't bad outside. I'll see how it holds up during the season.

I've been using 2lb test Fireline Crystal Ice tied directly to the jig. Works great - prefer it to mono now for use inside the portable. Haven't tested it for outside the shelter use yet but don't think it would be problem. Really like the no jig spin aspect.

Heres how I tie my lures on.

Form a loop in the end of the line. With the loop tie an overhand knot. Tighten knot.

I then pass the entire loop through the eye of the jig. Then feed the lure through the loop and tighten.

If you want to see it this way, it's kind of like using a stringer.

There is no big knot at the lure and it extremely strong.

Just the way I've been doing it and extremley easy.

I've been out a few times in a house with a heater. The braid works great. no coils in line. A guy I was with had his spool explode when he opened the bail, I don't know how old his line was but it ruined part of his day.

Good luck