• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vintage Sleds anyone?

Wolfpaak

Hi All,

Just wonderin if there is anybody here that run vintage sleds?

I have a few that I run around on,

1971 Scorpion Stinger

1973 Yamaha GP 292 (Mother in law bought brand new in 73)

1973 Polaris colt

1978 Polaris TX (not running,waiting for resto)

The Scorp is my "Daily Driver". If I want to go for a ride it fires up in 2 pulls!

I have also heavily Modified a 1975 Arctic Cat Panther to run in a little "fun" race with some friends.

[image]290325848.jpg[/image]

Its not done yet, all it needs is paint and a seat!

Lets hear from the "old sled" hedz!

Later,

Kenny

-73 SnoJet StarJet 440 (Yamaha twin) which should still run

-72 SnoJet StarJet 340 (Yamaha twin) completely tore down and stored in boxes

-71 SnoJet StarJet 292 (Hirth single)

Also been a member of the Vintage Snowmobile Club of America (VSCA) for 6 or 7 years now. They produce a pretty sweet magazine quarterly.

My interest in the old sleds comes and goes. Right now I'm into too many other things to have any time for them. The thought of selling them always crosses my mind but I usually can't bring myself to do it.

If I do get back into old sleds again, there are a few old hi performance Cats that I would love to have. Problem would be $$$$.

I have a few around taking up valuable garage space too...70' Panther w/303 wankel, 72' Panther w/303 wankel, 60's Ski Doo Alpine twin track...Two of them bought new by my grandfather...Had the 72' running year before last..all would run with a little tank flush/carb clean...Like Hanson, no time and too many other hobbies...

Was a Rupp man for many years.

Started with an American, I think. Then got into a 73 or 74 Nitro 440 (Kohler engine with lots of clutch) then into a (76 or 78?) liquid cooled Nitro with the Xenoah engine. Both those Nitros were pretty fast sleds for the day. That Xenoah engine machine had some wicked porting, two big carbs, and true dual tuned exhaust. Helluva 440 that one was. grin.gif

Wish I'd have hung onto that last Nitro. Finally gave the 74 Panther 440 to my uncle for his kids last year when I came upon a Polaris 700 Edge-X. Quire the difference, although I had many a great times on those other sleds.

Quote:

I have a few around taking up valuable garage space too...70' Panther w/303 wankel, 72' Panther w/303 wankel,

I sure love those Wankel Panthers! I could go down the list of my vintage dream sleds but most are unique, rare, or hi-performance. All of which equals big money!

- Wankel powered Cats obviously for the uniqueness of the engine

- Any Cat with Montana pipes, can you say 634 Panther?

- Pretty much any free-air '71 Cat- EXT, King Kat, etc...

- Really love those F/A '72 EXTs as well

- '73 EXT!

- '75 Cat Z has always been a favorite too, doesn't matter what engine

- Then obviously '76 & '77 Z's and Sno Pros!

- Cat Formula II

Guess the list could go on and on.

As the old saying goes... "If the motor sticks out of the hood, its good!"

Hanson,

Did a little quick math with ballpark values of your list, you will have to start buying lotto tickits!!!! smile.gif

I must not have progressed past 78, cuz I think the sleds after that are just funny lookin. Yea, they ride great and make AWSOME power. But they are expensive and funny lookin!

Well, Thanks for the replies.

Keep an eye out for an old fart on an old sled!

Later,

Kenny