• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bird Lists with the Kids?

Weed Shark

Anyone else do this? I have for about three years, but I end up doing most of the work. I have to believe that any related conversations will pay off in the long run, developing their knowledge and awareness of nature.

We had 49 last year, and 58 so far this year. Nothing to unusual, but kids need to learn the basics. We're not too serious about it. A Rufous-Sided Towhee last year was interesting to me. Also Canvasbacks, Black Ducks, Mockingbirds, Orioles, Sharp-Shinned Hawks, Woodcock, Hermit Thrush, Cedar Waxwings, etc.

Weed shark, sounds like you've got it figured out just right. grin.gif

I don't know the ages of your kids, but when mine were young it was a matter of not going so far with it that they lost interest. And making it as much fun as possible. Kind of like getting them into fishing at a young age.

They're 22, 19 and 17 now, and none are avid birders like I was at that age, but they all like birds a lot and love watching them, and know their way around bird guides enough to figure out what they're looking at.

Keeping species lists is nice, and you can keep them and look back on them when the kids grow up as a neat way to remember their youths.

This may be a little off topic, but I am a bird study merit badge counselor for Boy Scouts. I think that it great way to introduce birding to kids. If anyone wants to know how to get involved let me know. I am by no means an expert birder, but some of you that are would be a great asset. Dave