• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

otter box question

Ryan_V

I'm checking into an otter monster box. what size do you guys have?? I'm thinking a medium is plenty big for me. looking to get my vex and camera in for the trips on/off the lake as well as battery(s), misc.... also, how much do they retail for??

I have a large and a med. They are great make sure that you get the High faxes and cover you may have things fly out even if you are careful. I just looked at them today for cost and I think the large wes $120-130 That may have been the one larger than the large however. They seem to just keep going up in price every year so jump when you can. cool.gif

Ryan,

Both Monster Boxes will do the job but, I'd seriously think about the large if I were you. That way, the batteries you'll be hauling will sit down in the rear dropdown section of the Monster Box and there would be no way for them to slide around and bump your Vex, camera, rod bag or other "breakables".

Otter still might have some of the Monster Boxes on closeout. They're 1st quality Monster Boxes but Otter is not going to offer some of the color choices any longer and they are steeply discounted. Check out their HSOforum or give Otter a call.

Questions on Mounting a Large Box???

I purchased a “Ding& Dent” version last year from Otter it is a “Large”

It did not come with any mounting hardware; it was a “Buy as is Type Purchase With No Returns Allowed”.

(Which I knew going into this project, so that was not a surprise)

Can anyone provide me some hints or pictures on how to mount this to my Polaris Sportsman 500??

Or maybe a contact at Otter or something.

I have tried to think of a “Quick Tach” type method since February but now it is down to crunch time.

I just would like to be able to put it on by myself weather it be using wrenches and bolts or just pins to push an pull.

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you in advance…

beeonkey,

Where do you use High Fax on a Monster Box& and what advantage does it provide??

I think Boonkey was confused about the Hyfax runners and cover.

As for mounting, mine came with four ""U" bolts but the corners were at 90' angles instead of a U. Then on the threaded side of it you have a flat bar that both threaded ends go through, held on by lock nuts. (Call Otter, bet they would send you some if you cant find any) Wasn't to hard mounting it up, just a 7/16 ratchet wrench for the back end under the plastic rack. I did take a small hole saw the th plastic on my rear wheel wells so I could get to the front bolts on the monster box easier. Otherwise it took forever to tighten them down. As a side not put one of those mesh hold down thingys on the top of your box to hold stuff in the well.

I ran just ran out and snapped a few pics so you have a better idea of what I'm talking about.

DSC01678.jpg

rear bolts

My rack fits pretty tight against the top of the rear fenders, so it was easier to just remove the rear rack and then mount the box before reattaching the rack w/box to the ATV (Grizzly).

Flip the Monster Box upside down on the floor, lay the rack on it in the the position you want, mark the spots for the U-bolt holes, and then drill. You might want to first check to see if you can bolt your rack back on after the Monster Box is on the rack though. Mine was OK, but YMMV.

I don't have an otter box, but I have a kimpex atv box. One thing I did was take sticky back velcro and wrapped on the racks where the U-bolts went. Made it fit a little more snug.

The best set up I have seen, but may not work with such a big box, is that a guy put U-bolts sticking out of the box on the sides and then used tightening bolts, like for a pole barn door to hold it down. (not sure what they are called) This was easy install and removal.