• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Actuations on a 30D?

I'm looking at buying a used 30D in excellent plus condition, from a respected long term member of another forum. He's asking $725 for it. However, he doesn't know how to check how many actuations are on it. He's guessing around 15,000, but that could be way off. I see you can buy a new 30D now for $899, so I want to make sure that his doesn't have 50,000 instead. Can someone tell me how to check so I can relay the info to him and get proper info?

Thanks

X, people have been trying to figure out how to get an accurate shutter count for the 20D and 30D for a long time and nobody has found a way to do it other than to use Canon's special software. Why this information is hidden from us on these cameras is a mystery. File numbers assuming there has been no service work performed by Canon on it will get you in the ballpark. Only the 1 series Canons have a program to tell shutter count.

From my observations 20D's are in the vicinity of $500 and 30D's $200-$300 more so that price seems to be in the ballpark.

The 30D is rated for 100,000 shutter actuations, too. I didn't find out until after I wore out a 20D (about 100,000 clicks) that the 20D was really only rated to about 50,000.

I wouldn't worry much about whether it's got 15,000 or 20,000. The 5,000 difference won't amount to much unless you shoot the dump out of it. It took me two years of constant use with photojournalism, nature, weddings and portraits to hit 100,000.

More important than that potential different in shutter actuations is how well the camera was cared for, and it sounds like, based on the condition, it was babied.