• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hi-quality dog door

PikeBayCommanche

K-9 Kondo sells a all steel door. Benn using them for over 10 years and they have been fantastic. I use the barrel house in conjunction to their door, but you can order the door seperate. I like how you can keep them open in the summertime.

Good Luck!

Ken

Used heavy aluminum sheet (simular to cookie sheet only a little heaver) just a little larger than the dog door opening, bent opening edge a couple inches and at a 45 degree and for hinges I used spring screen door hinges that are the adjustable tension type. Put a small block of wood to hold door open a little until the dogs get used to going in and out then remove the wood block. Dogs open and close these doors easily and doors are now 6 or 7 years old with no chew problems.

Labs-

I have a K9 Kondo and love it, but my 5 month old lab wont go in it if the door is down. I have put treats in the far back of the barrel and also put peanut butter on the screw off caps to get her to go in. She will go in then, but will always keep a leg outside so the door doesn't close all of the way. The other night, I put her in the kennel for the night with the door down and hoped she would eventually just go inside, but at 2 AM I decided to sneak a peek at her and she was laying on the cement outside of the house. She sleeps in the K9 Kondo just fine with the door open. I'm just a little worried with the colder temps coming soon. I also put hay inside for her.

Any tricks to get her used to going in and out with the door down?

Nels

I have the same problem with a 2 year old dog that I have right now. She will go in when I command 'kennel' (sometimes needs a little push to get her going) and will come back out no problem, she will go in when the door is open... I figure when she gets cold enough she will go in. I just make her go in at least once a day in front of me so I know she understands she can go in there. My older dogs go in and out all day long since they were little pups and never showed any hesitancy towards the door.

If it continues to get cold and she is not using it, I will 'kennel' her in there at night and use the rod to pin the door shut so she sleeps in there... that should be all she needs to get her over the top.

Good Luck!

Ken