• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sturgeon Bay area?

Well guys, I have a career opportunity to move to S.B. WI, yes, I am posting this on the WI board as well but, wanted to get non WI opinions on this matter. My question is this...is there enough great fishing to keep an addicted fisherman happy in the S.B. area of WI? Your thoughts are greatly appreciated?

I lived in Green Bay from 98 - 00, I fished the Stugeon Bay itself through the ice several times, not to bad.
Although the nearest lake to Green Bay is 30 - 40 miles away, other then the big lake of course. I did not like it out there and the S.B. area is very expensive living!!!!!

S.D.

Chiro, I've lived in Green Bay my whole life and yes there is plenty of fishing in the area. I keep a 30' boat in S.B. and troll Lake Michigan for King Salmon and Rainbows. The area also has trophy walleye's and tons of scrappy smallies, perch and gills. The S.B. area is not expensive living but if you go north of there into upper door county it's all tourist area and can be pricey for lodging and food. It's a beautiful area and a great place to raise a family. Plus your only 30 minutes from Lambeau Field.....Sorry, I couldn't resist that.

I agree with fishnfool. You are moving to an awsome place. Ice-fishing for browns and perch in the Door County harbors. Jumbo perch. Fishing ice out salmon and browns need not bee too far off shore. Walleys and northerns all the way up the shore. Smelting and steelhead runs. Salmon runs and trout diferent times of the year. You might find me moving there my-self in a few years.

Thanks Woolyb...
Now you have my blood pumping, I used to do the smelt runs around Duluth when I was up on the Iron Range, man was that a blast! So can a guy ice fish the Door Co harbors for trout AND walleye AND perch??? Did I read that correctly?

Chiro, I can't verify the trout for ice fishing since I have never targeted them in winter but the perch and walleye are certainly there. In fact the DNR feels the next state record will come from the bay of Green Bay. In regards to the smelting that has declined in the last 10 years locally but they still get them 100 miles north in the U.P. of Michigan.

Chiro , Do a search ( If you hav'nt already ) on fishing the SB area. There's a few boards that have fishin info on the area.
They do take some beauty fish of most species up there year round. Little Bay de Noc is'nt that far away from there either.

Unfortunately , The Smelting has been on the decline all along the west shore of Lake Michigan for quite some time now. I used to dip Smelt out of Port Washington till the Smelt pops thinned out. However ,Fishing has been excelent for the Salmonids on Lake Michigan the past few years now and the higher Trout/Salmon population may be why the Smelt are down ?

You ought to try and get over to the area and see first hand what the SB area has to offer. I think you'll find that contrary to what some people think , WI has a lot to offer the hunter and fisherman types !

Thanks for all the info, I did check the area out on the way to a seminar last weekend. I doubt I will make the move for two reasons...lack of smaller lakes in the area and the folks where I am now are pretty hard to beat. But, I will definitley have to make a few walleye trips out there to fish the big lake with a friend in Manitowac!