• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dead minnows

Dano2

What do some of you do with your minnows you dont use so they dont freeze and the wife wont let you keep themm in the house?

I have a bunch of dead ones I am saving for cat fish bait for this spring, but was curious if I could use the heads from the sucker minnows,
I read someone said using the head of a minnow along with your angel eye or forage minnow works well, but once you cut the head, its dead, so will the wallys bite?

What about a WHOLE dead minnow? Myself, i haven't had much luck with a dead minnow.

How are the swedish pimples for walleyes?

between the forage minnow,swedishpimple,and angel eye, what have you had the most succes with?

Stillwaiting for those glow devils

Book um Dano

I could'nt resist.

I have saved and used dead minners all year. I usually put all the dead ones in a jar with a bunch of salt and powdered aulm. I have had good success with them. They get a little tough,but what the heck. You could add some flavor like vanilla extract also for a added flavor.Give it a try. You dont have to use the alum,during the cold months.It just preserves them better.

So far this ice season I haven't used a live minnow. I bought a few scoops at the beginning of the winter and froze them all. I have crappie minnows for eyes, both head and whole,and have had good success(jigging) and frozen suckers for dead bait on my tip up.

Up here in Saskatchewan Canada it is prohibited to use live bait but guys catch walleye, perch, Jack, trout etc all the time with frozen dead minnows. Usually the head on a sweedish pimple. Guys even catch walleye on pieces of raw beef and sweedish pimples.

I use both the head half and the back half with spoons. I usually keep the dead ones from my dead stick, and pinch them in half when I need one. Some days the walleyes like the heads better, sometimes they like the tail better. I guess it is a coin toss. (Hee, Hee.) The tail half gives some pretty good action with a spoon.

------------------
Wables

I have the most success with Angel Eyes tipped with either the head or the tail of the minnow. It has been outfishing the dead stick four to one. I usually just cut a live or dead minnow in thirds and use what ever. Heads I win tails they lose.

I have only gotten back into ice fishing last year and this year is the first time I tried using jigging spoons and I wish I would have tried them earlier. For one it is more productive, 2nd not as boring as just watching a dang bobber sit there.

Scott

[This message has been edited by upnorth (edited 01-01-2003).]

heres my 2 cents like in every post smile.gif

minnows already dead aren't as good. if you see a few floating in your bucket after a few days of letting them sit, dont use them. dead minnows have a really bad scent if you haven't already noticed and aren't that appealing to eat, even to a walleye. i usually just fish with fresh minnows. cut em up right before i am going to use them so they still have all the freshness. if they are frozen they wont smell so they definitely wont work as good as a fresh cut one. it also seems to help having a crappie minnow hooked so it swims on the angel eye. that extra movement along with the jiggin really helps i think. good fishing.

------------------
Good Luck Stickin Dos PigZ!