• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for area in north metro to work bird dog

ozzy1377

Actually, you can't release any species of game in Carlos Avery or many WMA's from the research I have done.

There is one place near Millaca (Four Brooks WMA) that does allow dog training and releasing of birds and I think it is somewhat run by a training group (MNNAVHDA) and you need to pay a membership (not 100% sure on that though).

Private land is one of the only places where that training permit actually works from what I have found. The permit allows you to shoot non-native species that are properly marked (painted or a piece of ribbon) during non-hunting season.

Possibly state forests but you should contact the local CO to find out for sure.

When i was at their office handing in my application the lady told me that i could release the birds on any state land as long as i properly marked them, had the receipt from where i purchased them and had the permit with me.

You may have been told that, but I would still recommend calling to double check. I called the Carlos Avery headquarters this summer and know for sure I was told no releasing of birds. I also called regarding some other areas but don't remember exactly which ones.

I would be interested in know what other places people have contacted or found to be legal.

Bobb-o...what office were you at?

Thanks. Looks like the maple islan hunt club will work great. I got the permit for training and it reads that you can release birds and hunt them up as long as you have the proper paperwork. The lady also said it was ok just to check with the local dnr officer. Lucky I did, and you CAN'T release any animal into any WMA.

Thanks