• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Peak fishing times/lunar phases

Dano2

I used to keep a journal ( over 3 winters )of my outings a few years back just to see IF weather , moon phases and suposed peak fishing times mattered. I kept track of temp , Barmetric pressure , precip , wind/direction ,ice thickness , what time fish were caught and all that stuff.
I'm laid off come winter so get out fishin about 70 times a winter or so.
Anyways, What I found was moon phase and peak fishin times seemed to have little affect on fishing sucess. Weather ( pre storm )seemed to have some posative influence on the bite. Not that a storm moving in would have fish flying out of the holes or anything but better days on the ice were usualy just before a storm moved in.If the storm had high winds with it the bite was usualy so so. A nice melow snowfall and the fish seemed to realy snap.
Another thing I found was that the bigger Walleyes ( 5 lbs +) we caught usualy came between 2am and 6 am.
Bottom line is hit the ice when you can and have fun. No matter how much thought a guy puts into when's the best fishin time , moon phase or whatever time on the ice is your best teacher.