• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What amount of time...?

daydreamer

Yep, I hear ya. I shoot for 2.5 hours too. I like to try get there closer to three hours, but don't feel rushed until I get inside of 2.5 hours. If it's less than 2 hours, I really get crabby. Less than about 1.5 hours and I skip the stand (because I don't have stands up- I carry mine in and out and have to put them up each night) and try other methods- calling, spot and stalk, etc.

Two hours, but I've gone out with a scant hour to go in the last few days before gun season. Two years ago I set up a stand & was settled a max of 45 minutes before dark two nights before gun season & within about 20 minutes or so had arrowed a buck & a doe. Made a poor hit on the buck & he got away, but that was my fault on shot selection, nothing to do with the little time on stand. Things can happen quick when rut time comes. A few big can calls on a windy night in a new location & here they come. Definitely one of my top 5 memorable bowhunts. I shot a couple of smaller bucks the night before gun season when I got on stand around 4:00 or a hair later & it's dark by 5:30 then.

Had that same dilemna Sat. afternoon. Didn't get done with yard work until 4:30 and I'm about a half hour from the stand. Thought by the time I got showered scent free and got there I'd have maybe an hour to 1.5 tops. Skipped it and went pheasant hunting instead. Really want to get out this week though...