• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Making a wooden Canoe

not a direct answer to your question...but I do believe you could walk out of a North School Folk House (Grand Marais) class with one done. probably on the order of a couple grand. Would be quite a bit more than going it alone. But working on the shores of the lake with typically like minded people can be worth it.

i made one a few years ago,it turned out great! my neighbor had an old set of forms i used ,then i combined different ways of doin it and winged it.i cut the tree down,cut it into boards,but you can buy boards anywhere.a few hundred bucks and a hundred hours and you got somthing!!!! if i can figure out how to post a picture i will.

I having made half dozen wooden canoes, cedar strip. You can get plans from the Minnesota Canoe Association. There basically blueprints for the forms. They could also line you up with someone that has built one before to get you started. Costs for building one are rising like everything else. Last one I built cost about $600-800. Helps if you have table saw and band saw. Any other woodworking tools are helpful. Typically takes about 160 hours of work. Good summer project unless you have a heated work area. Very rewarding building your own. Still have my first one I built in 1991.