• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Berry ID

My folks sent me this photo and asked if I knew what it was. I've seen it before, but have no idea as to identification. They live in the Grand Rapids area, and the bushes were lakeside and 12 to 15 feet high. Any ideas?

medium.jpg

It would sure help if you guys would post pictures big enough to matter. grin.gif But the first pic has serrated (toothed) leaves and dogwood leaves are not serrated. The veining of the leaves in the pic Ken posted also is not right for dogwood.

It does look quite a lot like autumn olive. I did the google thing, too. One thing to be aware of. One site I went to seems to indicate that autumn olive and Russian olive are the same, but Russian olive, also a European import, is a shrub/short tree with narrow, smaller leaves that are distinctly silver colored. That site — under autumn olive — shows two images of an autumn olive and one that's a Russian olive, and they don't look anything alike. Don't know what's up with that. confused.gif

Finnbay, sure would be bad news if it is Autumn Olive. From the photo there are a few other species that fit. Autumn Olive would have thorns and cannot tell from the photo if this is the case. Another species that fits the pic is American Winterberry. These are pretty common in NE MN. and are not considered invasive. Positive id would need more pics(Branching habits, flower color etc.) or a visual. Best option would be to call or visit(with sample) the DNR office in Rapids. My thoughts.

You're right, hayseed. This looks even more like American Winterberry (google it). Up here, the only winterberry I'd been aware of before is just another name for wintergreen, which is a small, low evergreen plant with red berries. The DNR is a good bet to help with ID. Another option is to e-mail more pics to the U. of Minnesota Extension Service. They field inquiries like this from all over the state. Their web site is here.

Hayseed,

Now I'm confused. American Winterberry does look almost the same from the photos I googled. As to thorns, what I could find was that Russian olive has, autumn olive does not. I'm going down to my folks this weekend and will do some more checking. Thanks for all the input!

Sorry. Didn't mean to confuse anyone. The science of ID'ing plants can get very technical. If you visit the link http://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/plants/autmnolive_child.shtml the thorns are obvious. Hope I don't get in trouble for posting the link. Perhaps they also have the wrong photo. Which is why the internet is not gospel. Best is to take a long branch up to Rapids DNR. They have the best folks there. Besides if it is Autumn Olive, they and the Ag Inspector would really like to know. I deal with invasive species on a daily basis and the earlier you catch them the better.

Mine doesn't have thorns. The neighbor when asked a couple weeks ago thought it might be a holly.

Hayseed might be right here in my case. Winterberry is a holly.

ile_lae.gif

Smooth Winterberry

All the berries are gone now, don't know if they fell off or the birds ate them. The leaves have fallen too.

Next summer I'll pay closer attention to it.

Hayseed,

I'm confused most of the time anyway! You've all been very helpful - I have some information that will help identify. Will check them out for myself this weekend and suggest to my folks to bring it into the DNR. Thanks again!

Visited my folks today and took a closer look at these bushes. First of all, no thorns. I think that's good news. Secondly, not many leaves left, but tried to get a couple of pix with closeups of what is left.

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

Lots of the berries were still left. Here are a couple of views:

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

Well, what do you think?

Finnbay, I passed the photos to my friend. He says he can be about 90% sure it's Winterberry and 75% sure it's the "Common" variety. There are several cultivars, but unless they are planted as a part of a landscape, they are likely to be common. It also has leaf spot, which is a common occurance for the species. Not harmful. Got a lot more info, but won't bore you. Don't eat the berries. Tom