• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

help w/ultra light

cyonko

Since most of my fishing is for crappie and other panfish I decided to buy an ultra-light rod and reel this year to help detecting those light bites. I currently have it rigged with 2lb. test and tipped with a #12 hooked ant-type jig. My problem is this when I went out this weekend I had a heck of a time getting the jig to drop down in the hole without an additional bb sized weight and when the wind blew the line moved all over the place to the point where I almost gave up. Any ideas? The pole was great for seeing/feeling the light bite and I caught more than I normally would've but I'm afraid increasing the line size or adding additional weights will defeat my original intents. Thanks in advance.

i am guessing your rod guides are really small. and your reel is cheap. if not i donno but my guess is to get a better reel that is smoother. i personally have a frabil sensative rod and niver reel, it works great for getting the smaller jig down. probably doesn't help but i tried a bit.
p.s. are you using a regular slip bobber, if you are look into those ice buster bobbers, i have found they slip alot better with this cold weather.

Not sure if this will help but tackle companies are making some fairly small but heavy jigs nowdays that can aid in getting your jig in the zone it faster- I have been using genz worms, northland creeps,shrimpos and glowdevils and have found them to work well. Also I have been surprised by just how big some of the jigs I am using will catch crappies like northland gypsies, willows and angeleyes -so smaller isn't always better but I guess it's all a matter of choice. I second vote the ice buster bobbers because the line slides through w/out freezing and they can be taken off while dropping your rig down-quite simply the only icefishing bobber in my box. May the fish gods be with you! redhooks

Like Redhooks was saying, Smaller heavier jigs can solve this problem. The ant style jigs are usually made with soder instead of lead. Like the jigs Redhooks mentioned, the Tackle City Fat Fry type jigs will work best. You also need to have a quality 2# line. Not sure what you are using now but its possible it may have developed some memory causing the line to coil which creates resistence when decending the jig down the hole. The P-line series is memory free and strong. It cost's a little more but well worth it. I use the 2# with an ultra-sensitive rod with a Fat Fry jig and it will sail down the hole with no problems. I don't think there is a problem with your rod guides or reel unless your just opening the bail and expecting the weight of the jig to pull line out for you, but i don't think you are doing this.
Anytime you have to add splitshot, its time to upsize your jig. Having a splitshot above your jig will take the action away from the jig. If your catching fish with that set up, its a good sign its a positive bite and you can afford to upsize your jig.

Good Luck
D-man

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/
click here