• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hunting method restriction

colonel42

This is out of the 2007 MN hunting regulation. Page 72 fouth bullet. The restriction does not apply to a person hunting their own property, when the person has not participated in, been involved with, or agreed to feeding wildlife on adjacent land owned by another person.

I work with a woman that tells me she can hunt over corn. Her explanation was a quote out of the MN regs. As I read it, it almost sounds like a land owner can do this. Any thoughts or am I reading this total wrong???

I think the key word here is "NOT". You can hunt near bait (not on your land) if you have not been involved in the placement of the bait. I believe this was added to the laws because some people would dump bait next to a neighbors property to pervent them from hunting there.

Quote:

I think the key word here is "NOT". You can hunt near bait (not on your land) if you have not been involved in the placement of the bait. I believe this was added to the laws because some people would dump bait next to a neighbors property to pervent them from hunting there.

Luckey, you are correct. However, there are 2 other keys words that people seem to gloss over. Adjacent means next to and other means someone besides you.

Also, there have been several posts on this topic in the past. I think this horse is probably dead.

This is the quote that screws everyone up. The restriction does not apply to a person hunting their own property. In my book that tells me if I own property the restrictions of feeding (Baiting) is OK if I own the property I hunt. I sat in my stand the other day and read the book from cover to cover and there are a lot of things that can be misinterpreted. Kind of like legal papers you would receive from a lawyer. Mumbo jumbo.

I guess I don't see it that way. Reading the quote I in no way infer I can dump bait on land that is my own property and hunt over it. It talks about bait that is on adjacent land to your's that you had nothing to do with. So to me, its pretty clear you cannot bait on your own land from this quote.

I read it like this. If the neighboring landowner dumps a bunch of corn in the corner of his field, you can hunt by it as long as you are on your property and as long as you didn't help place it. Just my 2 cents

I agree, I think it is explicit in describing 'on adjacant land owned by another person'.

I would also be leary of hunting a corner of the field "knowing" that it is baited. IE: hunting in the corner directly across the line from someone who is knowingly baiting and you know they are baiting. I think that is stretching the law into some real gray area. You should/could be guilty by association. You know baiting is illegal and you did not report the activity but used it for your gain.

I think a CO might not look the other way as you are trying to circumvent the law by doing so. I think the law was written to protect those who are hunting their land and find a heavily used trail and take a deer off said trail. But the deer are using the trail solely to get to 'Joe Hunter's' deer bait on the adjacent property. This would absolve you from being ticketed for hunting bait. Because you did not know, nor did you participate in said activity on or off your land.

My perception...

Good Luck!

Ken