• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

'07 Public Land DIY bowhunt for elk

Scoot

Quote:

Great pictures, wonderful post! I think I speak for most when I say that it makes you want to go out there and hunt them!

Joel

Ya just go do it once and even if you don't get one you are hook and want to go back. At least that is what it did to me. I am on a mission know I need to get one. We worked hard for them but weren't rewarded on my trip.

Thanks for the positive feedback, fellas.

Yep, IFF, I feel for ya. Honestly, your outcome is exactly what I sort of expected for us. It's actually a lot more representative of most first time archery elk hunts too. No doubt about it that we were in a good area and had good luck smile on us. If the bulls weren't bugling in the area we were in, it would have been really tough. I would have probably sat on a wallow and tried to be patient. It was the nearly constant bugling that let us locate them and have multiple opportunities. If they had been quiet, I'm sure we would not have had near the success that we had. I attribute our success to good timing (i.e., lots of bugling when we were there) + good area (lots of elk) + lots of hard work + loads of good luck.

Great pics and story. I wish my hunt this year went as good. we hunted unit 52 in New Mexico and had a great trip with no kills though. We were all a little to picky the first few days and paseed on small bulls. At the end of th trip I was looking for the 5x4 i could of shot earlier. We were in to elk every day and I was sure one of teh big boys would finally make a mistake. Seemed like the wind would always switch a the wrong time to make it happen. None the less New Mexico is a great place for as Wil Primos would say to have an Elk Adventure. I have the max points for Wyoming so I would think I would draw this state soon. There is nothing better than chasing the elusive Wapiti through the mountains in September

Lab