• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Septic system / firepit question.

KatoMike

We have a septic system that has a drainfield (not a mound system) with gravel/grass. It is in perfect spot for a firepit. Just wondering if putting the firepit on the drainfield would be a problem? Any thoughts? Thanks.

Are you talking about a portable burning pit or digging in a patio type pit?

I have learned over the years, it is not a good idea to have anything of weight over your drain field during winter and try not to during summer. Now, a small situation I think could fly by. I know of guys who put play set equipment on their drain field and have not had an issue “yet”! Its been 6 or 7 years, but who knows in future.

I think I would pic another spot. The heat from the fire could wreck the drain fields perfomance. I have been told by my builder to not only avoid heavy equpment, but to not fertilize over it too. I have a few time (I forgot) but now I skip that field.

I picked a wooded spot on my lot and cut down 2 trees to open up my firepit area. Glad I did....

Good luck

Swill

Ya, if you have a drain field, your lot should be of a good size. I would pick another spot. I would think over time, one would not like junk seeping into drain field fingers from fire pit juices and the weight could cause issues in the winter. Find another spot!