• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ospreys in the evening

Steve Foss

I was a couple weeks too late, but luckily the two young ospreys who are already flying from a nest along the Lucky Boy trail outside Ely stay around the nest a lot and let mom and dad bring fish to them now and then.

These were shot this evening. All with the Canon 1DMk2n and Canon 600 f4L IS, bird in flight shots handheld, nest shots from tripod, all iso200 at f4.5, all center-weighted metering with exposure compensation at +2/3.

The new combo will take some getting used to. Handholding the pig is definitely a good workout for the left deltoid. Not that I mind. grin.gif

1/1250

with-fish.jpg

1/1250

on-and-off.jpg

1/1000

eyes-ahead.jpg

1/1000

swooping.jpg

Borrrowed some new toys from CPS, is more like it, although the copy of the 600 they sent doesn't have a nick or a scuff on it, and the rubber rings all have that new car smell.

I'll be shooting the snot out of that lens for 10 days, and will just have a really good handle on it by the time it has to go back. I shot the 600 once before, luckily. I may have to head down to some North Shore beaches to grab some migrating shorebirds one of these days.

I was too far from the osprey nest for anything really good. Those two images were pretty strong crops. There was no way to get closer, unfortunately. Pulling detail like that from long-distance shots and severe crops was possible with that lens and the precise focusing capability of the Mk2n. With the 30D and 100-400, it would not have happened. The in-flight shots are full frame, or the next thing to it.

So, not the best of locations but heck, when the FedEx man drops off something like that, you don't sit there in the house just looking at it for a whole day. Can't take any pics that way. grin.gif