• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fertilizer Burn Help

Hossienda

So my wife decided to try and help our lawn by applying a fertilizer to it and in the process did not pay enough attention and managed to burn a few spots. The spots are now all brown and dead. What steps do I need to take to get grass growing there again??

Thanks,

Hossienda

Depending on whether they are burnt or dead will depend on how long its been since the damage started. IF its been a while then I would agree that it is toast. Most fertilizers are only good for 4-8weeks. Feel free to rip it up and replant or sod in if its a big spot. Usually some overseeding is the only thing necessary.

If its been recent, water the heck out of it and hope iot comes back. Wait till late august or early sept to plant new seed.

Quote:

Depending on whether they are burnt or dead will depend on how long its been since the damage started. IF its been a while then I would agree that it is toast. Most fertilizers are only good for 4-8weeks. Feel free to rip it up and replant or sod in if its a big spot. Usually some overseeding is the only thing necessary.

If its been recent, water the heck out of it and hope iot comes back. Wait till late august or early sept to plant new seed.

I agree with Power. One thing personally I'd do, if it's not too much of an eyesore, is even wait until spring to see if it comes back.

I don't know what your weather patterns have been in Alex, although I THINK you've gotten more rain than we have on the east side of the state, whether it's alot, or whether your yard is irrigated, that would change things too.

If it's "tan", then it'll come back.

If it's white / gray, it's done.

If it IS tan, then yep, water the heck out of it.

If you can still see the pellets, take a leaf blower and blow the dump out of the area to get whatever's piled up to spread out some more.

Obviously you'll want to have already swept up / shoveled up real large piles, but it's hard to get everything that way.

Also, one more hint for the future. When doing a fertilizing in the summer heat, try to use fertilizer that's a very high percentage of slow release.

Right now on my properties that I maintain, I'm running a 10-0-20, 10% iron with 65% slow release.

It's a low nitrogen, so your risk of burn isn't as great to begin with, plus the 65% slow release reduces it even further. The 10% iron will give it a darker green color, and the 20 will promote root growth, without an over abundance of top growth.

Pellatized Jepson or lime helps to stabilize area (same with female dog urine).

I had a failure in my spreader earlier this year, were fertilizer started to pour out until I stopped, then it started to pile up in that spot. First thing was to clean up as much of the loose stuff as possible (raking it to the side makes for a ring of dark green grass). Second, the large area were the pile sat and trail, I put down Jepson and tilled were the pile sat a little. Third I water the heck out of the area to help flush fertilizer down and prevent a dark green trail. The pile area had to be reseeded, but the trail I never touched after. This occurred this spring, and you can not even tell what happened now. I know I double stated some good advice already stated in earlier posts. Good advice guys.