• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New retriever training book - worth a look!!!

311Hemi

"Training the Pointing Labrador" by Julie Knutson

Sounds like this book looks at retriever training a bit different than most books to date.

Endorsement on the back cover by Jackie Mertens (of "Sound Beginnings" fame).

Quote:

Jackie says : "Julie Knutson writes excellent, straight foreward advice for Retriever Believers. This easy to follow book is for the retriever enthusiast wanting a refresher on how to choose, raise and train a retriever. Although the title indicates the book is about Pointing Retrievers, much of the information is enlightening for any retriever owner. If you want a first class hunting dog, you can't go wrong following Julie's step by step process."

A quote from one owner/trainer that has read it:

Quote:

"It's sad to say that the pointing side is going to scare a lot of people off, becuase this is one of the best retriever training books that I've ever read. I'd highly recommend it to any retriever trainer, whether you have a pointer or not. If you truly want to become a better trainer, you have to learn how to think like a dog, and she teaches you how to do that. The book will make YOU think, how many dog training books do that?"

I will say that I have not read it yet, but my copy will be here in a day or two and will let you know once I get through it.

It's only available from the authors site. Do a google search for the title and it should be the top one. Should be gunclub-labs. She has an older version out so make sure you don't order that one as you can find the older one on other sites.

The book is $50. Fairly high price but it's hard cover book with around 500 pages worth of reading/information.

Quote:

just got mine in the mail, wow ,talk about (Contact Us Please) .can't wait to really get into it. even signed it for me

Got mine yesterday also....LOTS of good reading and it's great the way she discusses what is going through the dogs head!! I am not usually a book reader but I was up until 11:30 last night reading through a few sections.