• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Camera Bags

Some questions - Do you guys ever bag your camera with the lens hood in the ready position or do you reverse it? I need to get a bag and that could effect the size I need. Any bag suggestions? I'll eventually have two-three lenses along with the other "stuff", a tripod, etc. I was thinking a backpack style for toting to games but not sure about that.

Dirk, I've got a big Tamrac Cyberpack 8. When I had a bit less gear, I was able to leave my 100-400L IS on the 20D/30D body with the hood mounted and rest it fully inside the bag. That was pretty handy because it was quick in and quick out of the bag.

Now, since I'm pretty well geared up, I don't have that much room, and I reverse the lens hood on the lens, though I can leave the lens mounted on the body and it fits in there nicely with all the rest of my bodies/lenses.

It's not really much handicap with the cap on and hood reversed. When I'm going to be driving somewhere to shoot, I pull out the body/lens, pull the lens cap and mount the hood before I Ieave. Then the body/lens just sits on the passenger seat while I'm on my way to or from the location, so it's ready at an instant's notice in case something flies/swims/runs/crawls by.

For the good of the lens, I actually prefer it this way. When I left the hood mounted all the time I left off the lens cap because it was too hard to get off with the hood on. This way the cap stays on until I prep it for shooting. I don't have a single nick/scratch in the glass, but I feel better this way.

Here's a rundown of my pack.

Inside the pack itself, not counting the outer pockets/sleeves, are a body/grip mounted as already stated to the 100-400, a second body, a 100 macro, 17-40L, a 1.4 TC, a set of extension tubes, a flash, various filters, remote shutter release cord, off-camera flash cord and camo sleeve for the long lens.

The pack also has a rear compartment for a laptop and, of course, tons of other zipper nooks and crannies for the smaller stuff like cards, batteries, etc.

It comes with sleeves sewn into each side of the pack, so I can slip in a tripod on one side and monopod on the other. It also has snap straps so I can lash clothing or other gear over the outside of the pack if needed. It has a snap strap across the chest to keep the shoulder straps from slipping off shoulder, and it has a padded hip cradle that also snaps across the front to distribute weight better on long hikes.

Fully loaded with all my camera gear and whatever other sundries are required for a day's shoot in the woods, it weighs about 40 pounds, but when the chest/hip straps are used, it doesn't feel like much weight, being very comfortable.

Dirk, for what you are describing I thing you would be fairly happy with a backpack style. I have always used Lowepro bags in the past but my latest is a Tenba. I like the backpack style but I carry a lot of gear, my bag with gear comes in at just over 75 lbs, without mono pod or tri pod. You most certainly won't be carrying that much but I find it easy to carry the backpack and camera or two over the shoulder allowing me to be fairly mobile.

Make sure you buy a bag big enough to consider future expansion. I'm on my fourth case in two years. Consider additional lenses, teleconverters, memory cards, extra batteries, flash, etc. Many Lowepro and Tenba bags are water resistant and come with rain hoods, I think some Tamrac might also, very nice feature and one I would not be without. Mine also comes with a slot for a laptop, another feature I really like.

My bag as tight as it is won't allow for a lens with the hood on, only reversed. I currently use a waist band with external lens bags attached which allow me to carry a 70-200 with the hood on. I guess what I am saying is there is no perfect solution, only the one that works for you.

I have a tamrac back pac style. In hind sight i wish I had bought the single shoulder sling style instead of the strap on each side. That is just me though. There are times when the full back pack is handy like when dragging junk to the fish house or through woods or on the ATV. But for the most part I wish I had bought the other style.