• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buffalo? Smallmouth or Largemouth.

Hey guys I need your input on this a friend of mine caught this Buffalo fish last weekend on Big Sandy Lake it weighed 25lbs and was released, we are wondering if its a Smallmouth or Largemouth Buffalo if its a Smallmouth it was a State record which also was caught in Big Sandy Lake in 03 and weighed 20lbs.

What do you guys think?

The DNR wasn't much help....he sent the picture to them and they responded "Yes it is a buffalo fish".

Thanks Pier.

Big Fish!

P1010237.jpg

Release!

P1010240.jpg

Guess its Fish ID week this week at FM. smile.gif

According to my roughfish reference, Roughfish (Contact Us Please) com, it really looks like a Bigmouth Buffalo to me. Hard to tell by the way the fish is being held but it sure looks like this buffalo has a forward pointing mouth vs a downward, sucker type mouth, which is one of the distinctions between a bigmouth and smallmouth.

Here's a photo of a Bigmouth that 'Dtro' caught earlier this year for comparison.

Buffalo%20-%20Dtro%202.jpg

I understand Black Buffalo to be extremely rare, so the likelihood that this is indeed a Black is slim, although possible.

Regardless of the species, that is one heck of a roughie!! Congrats!!