• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

After seeing the awesome pictures all of you are taking I decided to go out and buy a new camera.

Here are some pictures of a couple of loons. I really enjoy the camera so far, but I know I have a lot to learn.

dsc0066ie8.jpgdsc0069fr1.jpgdsc0062ec9.jpgdsc0041pt0.jpgdsc0029jz9.jpg

I hope this works!

Stfcatfish,

Thanks. I have been following photo sharing for a while. I really enjoy all the pictures you (and others) post here. Some (most) of the pictures are amazing.

I just bought two lenses to start out. The AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II (have not used yet) and the AF-S VR 55-200mm f/4-5.6 G IF-ED. I have no clue if they are very good or not. It was about what I wanted to spend. I would imagine if I really get into wildlife I will need a lens with more zoom.

th, those lenses are a fine place to start. And you are right. If you really get into it, you'll want more powerful glass, because most wildlife subjects aren't as agreeable as loons and won't let you get very close.

Nikon makes a good and almost affordable 80-400 VR (vibration reduction) lens, which I hear is slow in operation but has excellent image quality. That would be a logical step up. If, that is, you eventually think it's a good idea.

Dang man, them are nice looking loons. I'll post the ones I got, tomorrow. Mine aren't quite as good because I don't see their bloodshot eyes on mine. Unless it's because my eyes are bloodshot. I am a bit tired.

I hope your open to cc, I'd like to offer up some help to you. You'll need to adjust your EV (exposure compensation) as you've got some blown whites on these images, which means lost details in the whites. Your shots for the most part are soft (blurry) as well. These can both be corrected however. I would think about dialing back the exposure to atleast -2/3 stop for a starting point depending on available light and figure out what ISO you'll need to get the stop action for a non blurry shot, yet not too high where you bring in "noise" (graininess) to the image. Loons are a tough exposure for sure and I find them easiest to expose properly in soft light or diffused light. Keep working at the craft and you'll be there before you know it.