• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Oil Leak on first boat

woody1975

Just bought a boat and it has a '96 Merc on it.

Motor runs fine, the only problem is that when the motor is up (traveling or whatever) oil leaks into the transom well.

It isn't a lot of oil, but I am just wondering if anyone else has heard of this or dealt with it.

Again it isn't a lot of oil, and it doesn't leak at all when the motor is level.

Thanks

DL

I had a flashlight in there the other night, but it is so minimal that it is hard to see where it comes from.

It does appear that it may be coming down the fuel line.

I think it is oil and fuel, so maybe the carburator?

What are your thoughts?

It's most likely that fuel is running out of your carbs when you tip it up. They are full when down but you tip the motor and fuel comes right out the vents, and runs right out the throats, into the airbox and down into the belly pan and then drips into your boat.

Is it anything I need to worry about?

My biggest concern was that I would run out of oil, but after checking it continuously for 3 days of fishing, it seems to have no affect on my oil tank.

More of a pain to keep it clean than anything.

Is this something that others have had an issue with - Is it something with that year class?

Thanks,

DL

No, no problem other than a bit messy. Probably your carbs are missing the baffles. Many mechanics throw them away when they rebuild the carbs. But even with the baffles they still leak. This affected all the older mercury motors and there is no fix. All you could do would be to unplug your fuel line when loading the boat and running the carbs dry.

I have a 1998 115 merc that leaks the same way out of the carbs. Does running the carbs dry have any negative effects? Someone told me they do it every time and have never had a problem. Someone else told me not to do it because the seals could dry out and crack? I think I am going to start disconnecting the fuel line and running it dry, hopefully it will help keep the carbs cleaner also.

Nope, no problem in running the carbs dry. In fact everyone should do that last trip out every fall. It will save you from doing carb cleaning in the spring. If they can sit empty all winter, whats the matter with a week or two during the summer. Its good policy to get in the habit of unplugging the fuel line.