• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

lab pup eats everything he can fit in mouth

fishroger

Is this common to all dogs or just labs. Pup is 4 months old. I feed him plenty, but he would just as soon eat rocks, sticks, deer [PoorWordUsage], cat [PoorWordUsage], anything rotten, dirt, birch bark. He has the [PoorWordUsage]s now and occassionally throws up sticks and whatever. Try to keep an eye on him when he is out but he gets into stuff quick. Has quite a nose for anything rotten.

Sounds like your pup is acting like every pup I've ever owned. smile.gif I was always told it is typical pup behavior...

Even older dogs will often eat cat or dog feces.

Sometimes a small spray bottle of 'taste deterrent for dogs' can be used to spray on objectionable items, if you're quick enough to spot and treat them before the dog finds them. smile.gif

Good luck.

Its hard to stay right on top of them, but if you want to control this behavior you need to be with him at all times in order to say NO or Leave It when he tries todo something like that. Its the only way to learn. If you don't correct it they learn that this is okay.

Labs are orally fixated dogs. What fits in usually goes down. At 16 weeks of age, your pup is starting to lose his puppy teeth so if he ain't shredding it before he eats it, I would be surprised. Be very cautious. Today I had an 8 year old lab who had gotten into the garbage last night who appears to have eaten a plastic bag and it now appears to be stuck in his stomach. Clients may not be able to afford to do surgery. Not a good prognosis. Any pup under 2 years of age (or more) should be monitored to make sure they do not eat anything they should not. I will now fall off of my soap box. Had a rough day, saw this title and had to put my two cents in. smirk.gifsmirk.gif

fishroger I have a pup thats 4 mo. old and he eats anything. He had the runs 2 weeks ago and my Vet had him go on Metronadizole for 5 days and he was better in 2 days. He likes goose, bunny and deer waste. The vet said there loaded with parasites. Feed him a mixture of hamburger and rice only and if he's not getting better in 2 days he will probably need an antibiotic to clear him up.Hope this helps. DrJ