• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

98 Sportsman 500 transmission and gear case oil change question

RoadRunner

I feel stupid for asking this, but can anyone tell me where to find the drain plugs for the transmission and for the gear case oil on my '98 Sportsman 500? I just picked up this unit used and am performing maintenance on it for the first time. The owners manual isn't much help, other than saying that I need to remove the skid plate, which from what I can see, means removing a lot of other stuff in the process.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

I believe the rear gearcase and the transmission are together in this unit. The drain plug should be in the middle towards the front of the rear gearcase. Just look at the bottom of the rear gearcase and follow it towards the front and you will find the plug. There is a "hole" in the skid plate so you can get to it. I believe it takes 1 quart. Best to use the Polaris oil as it has anti-foaming agents as compared to regular synthetic.