• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Merten's Power Tiller Steering

Smeds

Just had the PTS installed last week at the factory with Tim Merten & family. I've got an 2006 Alumacraft Navigator 175 tiller with a 2006 75 Yamaha 4strk, and suffer from an old shoulder injury. Let me say this ... no longer a problem! It is really only a two-finger job to steer the motor now, and no torque whatsoever. I had a little apprehension about re-locating the tilt-trim switch from where it was on the handle, but it turned out to be a non-issue. When you get up on plane, the motor hydraulically (sp?) locks when you take your hand off the handle. Tim Merten relocated the trim switch right under the shift handle ... just reach back and trim up. As others have said, this system is sweet! Also got a chance to check out the new "non-powered" tiller steering system. This is also going to be a great product for the smaller outboards when it comes out. Very little effort to steer, but there will be a slight amount of torque felt. If you want totally effortless tiller steering, go with a Merten's ... I'm sure glad I did.

I bought a new used boat last fall with a 115HP Optimax and Merten's engineer steer system on it, and I will agree this is really something. Fished big waves on Mille Lacs last weekend and the motor never moves! You can troll without the motor bouncing around between waves, even when you're at full throttle and crashing through the waves, the motor stays where you put it! It is trully an amazing addition to my boat. Had I known how good this system worked, I would have bought one years ago.