• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hummer on a lilac (pics included)

Steve Foss

I was actually out hunting for the loudmouth yellow warbler singing in our lilac hedge, who sits out bold as brass when I'm 30 feet away but hides as soon as I come within camera range.

Suddenly, that characteristic deep hum zipped by my ear, and a hummingbird started gathering food from the lilacs. The light was a little hot, which makes for fairly distracting backgrounds, but it is what it is.

Both with the Canon 30D and Canon 100-400L IS at 400mm, iso200, 1/400 at f8, handheld

Got something in my mouth.

hummer-lilac-2-1.jpg

Peek-a-boo.

hummer-lilac-3-1.jpg

Exquisite photos Steve. Looks like the hummers made it up there in record time although am surprised to see your lilacs in bloom. The only time I've seen the yellow warbler here is when I'm tending to business sitting on the throne in the morning. grin.gif

Thanks, guys. I sure enjoy these smallest of birds, and not the least because they are so fearless.

We saw our first hummer on May. 9. Historically, the second week of May seems to be the average here, according to hummer migration maps that use specific dates to gauge migration. Those maps can be found here.

The lilacs are about two weeks early compared with last year, according to my photo records. It was May 30 when I shot a hummer last spring with flowering lilacs in the background.