• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where is everyone headed for opener on Tuesday?

HI Shiner

A question about going back to the UP??? I am a Ex-Yooper, also living in MN. My question is how is the fishing at Gogebic these days???

I am thinking about a trip back a little later in June. Gogebic is on my A-list. But it has been decades since I have been there. So just inquiring about what you think.

DN

A lot of people hate and I mean HATE Lake Gogebic, but it is one of my personnal favorites. There are a lot of walleyes to be had, mostly in the 14 to 20 inch range, but there are some pigs as well. The smallie fishing is great, and perchin' is hard to beat. I will let you know what I find out after Tuesday.

Well Greg, I didn't make it over today (putting in a new POS system at work), but I talked to my dad and he had the 12' Starcraft with the 5.5 horse on the west shore by the campground. He caught 7 fish, biggest at 18", but was done early when the waves started coming in the boat (he blamed it on me not being there to keep the nose down grin.gif) I will be heading over on Sat after work and staying till Monday night. Hopefully you had a good day.

Nate,

Normal LG opener... I got out at about 4PM and stayed unil about 9:30ish. We caught over 100 fish and not one was legal. The biggest being 14 3/4 inches... LG could be a awesome walleye lake if the DNR wanted it to be. The average fish was about 12 inches. I would love to see a slot on that lake like keep 4 under 15" and 1 over 22. I would think in 3 years the quality of fish would be so much better. I think the Mich DNR needs to spend a weekend with the MN DNR to get some pointers. That is why I am headin to Mille Lacs Thursday night I love how MN lakes are managed. LG is sad right now I have talked to about 10 guys here at work and I am hearing the same reports from everybody. Now dont get me wrong there is decent fish in that lake but they are few and far between. I have my best luck for decent fish through the ice then in mid summer trolling harness.

Good luck.

I hear ya Greg. Fishin off Paco's dock and drifting through the middle have always been my favorites. I'm with ya on the slot limit, that would help Go-Go so much. Good luck on Mille Lacs, and I'll let you know how this weekend goes on the Dead Sea

Nate,

I was just drifting right by Pacos all night with a drift sock, the sock really seemed to make a difference being there was 3 foot rollers out there. Alot of people were trolling against the wind and I am not sure how they did, I didnt see anthing boated from the trollers. Pink and White jigs were the color that night.

Good Luck this weekend.

Nate,

How did you do on LG. I have been doing OK by the Hoop on the west shore with all this wind we have been wading in the pencil weeks tossing 1/8OZ jigs tipped with fatheads.

Pretty fun this is the 2nd year I have fished like that. Different but fun..

That sounds like fun Greg. I never made it to Go-Go this ast weekend. Turkey hunting didn't go quite as planned so I ended up staying in Escanaba for the entire weekend. Phil said he has been doing well on the West shore, but that is all I have heard. I'm going to try and get over there this weekend to get out on Sunday. Maybe have to try the wading tactic but with the fly rod.

6/9 Lake G fishing report

Hi Shiner and friends

Well we went to Lake G this past long weekend. June 8-11.

A classic U.P. sandwich. LOCATION-Perfect, FISHING-Poor, WEATHER-Magnificant. When the U.P decides to be beautiful it really out does itself and anywhere else!!!

Location- we stayed at the State Park CG, and fished primarily the south end of the lake. Extremely beautiful Lake and CG.

Weather was superb. Clear days, after a windy arrival on Fri. But Sat/Sun were just beautiful., Bugs were almost a none problem. Ankle biting deer flies were out a little during daylight hours. No rain.

Fishing was poor. We concentrated on walleye. Trolled Crankbaits, slow trolled spinners and Lindy rigs, with and without bait, jigged a little, fished shallow 8ft. to deep 25ft. and back again. 2-days, resulted in 2 -12 inch 'eyes. The couple of fish we got were on Crankbaits. It was tough. Others I talked with also reported very slow to poor fishing. Some people were focused on Bass and were getting a few. Maybe Next Time wink.gif

DN