• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question on New Fishing Line

What is the best direction to put on new line for a closed faced reel? I have read for an open face reel it should be counterclockwise? Would it be the same for a closed faced reel? Would appreciate any help!! I have had too many problems with the line getting to be twisted and or memory curls. Any ideas on how to avoid this? Thanks in advance.

I assume you are referring to which direction to draw the line from the supply spool. I usually start so that the line will draw in the same direction as the reel is winding. If the supply spool diameter was the same as the reel spool, this would be ideal but this is virtually never true. After a while I will flip the supply spool over to draw the line from the opposite direction and then repeat until my reel is full. You will probably not avoid twisting at all but this reduces it considerably.

Bob

the line twist could be caused by the lures you are fishing too! after you have spooled line on, go out and let all the line out on a grass area with nothing tied to it,and drag it a little ways.( or you can let it out behind a boat too) then reel it back on while keeping pressure on it with your fingers. this will relax the line, and will help alot. i do that with my spinning reels after spooling new line on, or after every other time out fishing. del

When I spool new line on my reels I thread the line through the eyelet closest to the reel. I set the spool of line on the ground with the label up and reel my reel holding the line lightly between my fingers. After several cranks of the reel I lower my rod towards the spool of line. If it is going on the wrong way the line will twist up. If it does this I flip the spool of line over and crank on some more line and check it again by lowering the rod towards the spool. You should see which way is working best pretty easily.