• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help on Tanager i.d.

Hey MM:

Pretty sure we're looking at an adult scarlet tanager. Occasionally, adult male individuals are a bit orange looking and have a slight shaft of color near the top of the black wing. This bird shows both those characteristics.

Thanks Steve,what threw me was no sign of black anywhere on the tail. I did some more testing with the lenses and i think the loss of 100mm is too much for the small gain in sharpness/contrast. I am probably going to keep the 70-300 for now,and see if canon introduces anything else that would more suit my needs. If not, I will probably get another 100-400L someday. You were right though,I was really expecting "magic" from the L. This nuthatch was shot today with the 70-300 while waiting for the Tanager,and i'm satisfied with this lens's performance for what it cost.

hatch.jpg