• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How important is line for panfish?

Slyster

When the bite is on, do they bite regardless of line? Or are they spooked and finicky.

I am asking because today I used braid line and wondered if my numbers would have been up using something like a low test fluorocarbon... does it matter for pannies?

Well i can not say for sure I do think that line could play a role. We were out the other evening and 2 of us had 4lb test and one had 10lb. The amount of action on the lower test line produced many more bites then the 10lb. We switched the 10 to 4 and the action equaled out. Not a real scientific test but just an observation. Good Fishing!!

Well I would say going from 10 lb. to 4 lb. test would certainly make a difference, but if you're using anything under 6 lb. it shouldn't make too much difference. Water clarity will play a role as well. If the bite is on, you're in the right location and constantly switching baits to find out what's hot, line shouldn't be a major issue. However, this applies more to slip-bobber fishing, but if you are just straight jigging then lighter line will be a bit more sensitive too.

Casting a thicker line is tough too.

I fished all day yesterday were the partners could not reach the areas the fish were. When we'd move the fish got spooked.

The wind was up & they could not cast into it very well either.

It made the day a lot tougher than it had to be.