• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Off Fishing

Hooray! The ice is moving out here on Rainy Lake. Has anyone been out fishing yet? My boyfriend and I were out yesterday in the conoe and caught a bunch of Northerns, and I caught a largemouth bass. They are pretty rare here in Rainy. It sure was nice to be out on the open water again. The sun is starting to feel warm, summer is around the corner at last!! Its exciting to watch the ice move out, and to see everyone getting their boats ready. I got a couple pictures:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hello!

Yes, I feel very lucky to be able to walk out the front door and go fishing when ever we feel like it. Its also great for fresh fish dinners!!

Lisa, how was your trip to the cabin? Did you get any fishing in?

Nope-it was strictly getting the cabin and boat ready for the season! I don't fish the opener with my hubby anyway since it's "the testosterone weekend"(only guys)! The good news was that we were having some septic issues and now they are gone! cool.gif It's also his 50th birthday on Opening Day so he'll have a blast with his brothers/buddies. I'll be there this weekend and then the one following opener though. I love the cabin because it just gets me away from it all, right?! Lisa

I was also at the cabin on Big Sandy last weekend. I ended up doing alot of cleaning to open it up and get it ready for the season. We're getting the boat out of storage 5/11 so we'll be ready to go for the opener. My folks are coming to our place and we plan on fishing both days.

I have usually fished for pan fish and have never been too sucdessful at fishing for Walleye and Northern.

Is anyone willing to give a novice some pointers in layman's terms??? I would appreciate it! Thanks.

Lisa

We usually fish Winnie to get walleyes. At least this is where we go to get a meal of fish instead of just one or two out of the lakes around our cabin. The two ways that usually work for us is Lindy rigs or jigs tipped with live bait. We troll around slowly and set the hook! That's what we do so I don't know if that's saying much but it works for us. cool.gif

Lisa, too!

For walleye, one of my favorite fish to catch and eat.... We have the best luck with jig and minnow. Here on Rainy Lake we look for reefs. Rock piles on the bottom of the lake, making structure. We go off one of the edges and ancor, then hook up a jig and minnow. You cast toward the hump, let your jig hit bottom, lift the tip of your pole up slowly (making the jig pop up) and then reel back down to it, letting the jig hit the ground again. Then Lift up the tip, reel back down, over and over until you reach the boat...then cast again. Or, I like to sit on the side of the boat with my jig and minnow and just bounce it off the bottom, much like ice fishing. Hope that helps.

I am also alone on fishing opener. The guys go to BWCA for a week. So I get out all my scrap-booking supplies and pictures and have some girl time. Play all the chick flicks I have too. hahahaha!!

Speaking of movies, a good movie to watch this time of year - On Golden Pond -! They are out on the lake, getting the cabin ready for summer, the loons are back. Great movie!

Hey Fishingqueen, your avatar pic isn't showing up! What is it supposed to be? Great advice too! Thanks alot. When we use jigs/minnow presentation we have quite a bit of jigging action also. Another piece of advice is-change your jig color if it's not catching fish. Somedays a chartreuse one works and other days just gold does the trick. Don't be afraid to try different jigs! Okay I will stop acting like "Super Guide Lisa" now.

Lisa