• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stunned brown creeper

Steve Foss

With all the birds migrating, it's no surprise we find some of them stunned after flying into windows now and then. This little cutie was laying on the deck outside the office when I left work earlier today.

Sure is rare I see one up this close. I lay down on my belly and moved up until I was just a bit too close for the lens' minimum focus distance of about six feet, then backed up a couple inches and shot.

Also note how razor thin the DOF is with the 400mm this close to the subject. It's a bit hard to tell on the smooth deck, but I doubt if it's much more than an inch of DOF.

Canon DRebel XT, Canon 100-400L IS at 400mm, iso200, 1/250 at f7.1, evaluative metering, handheld, full frame

stunned-creeper.jpg

Thanks, dukhnt.

Matt, DOF stands for "depth of field" or "depth of focus," and indicates how much of the image front-to-back appears in focus. The larger the f-stop (aperture) number, the deeper the focus. In other words, a reading of f22 produces much more DOF than f2.8.

Quote:

look like they belong on a velociraptor

Well, some scientists speculate birds evolved from reptiles and dinosaurs.

Great pictures. Gotta get my daily fix in photo sharing. Good work stf and others.